Monday, April 22, 2013

October 22, Part 1: Wolf Lake

Before me stretched the shoreline.  I searched carefully for the outlet of the river, but I was having difficulty, even when consulting the map.  A forest stretched from the left to straight ahead, finally broken by docks and houses which continued to the right.  A third of the way from the right side of that subdivision was a white house that had caught my eye as I approached.  A road extended to the right of this, even beyond where the houses ended, and I had seen a car driving on this road vanish in the vicinity of the white house.

Somewhere ahead had to be the river.  Here's a one-question quiz to see if you've understood everything I've written so far about navigation.  Where did I need to go?  Where was the river?

a) Left of the houses
b) Near the white house
c) Right of the houses

The answer is after the break.


.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Got it?  Good.  The correct answer, of course, is that I had paddled to the completely wrong side of the lake.  It was supposed to be at most a mile by my map, and I started wondering why it was taking so long.  Since the official Mississippi River maps don't have GPS coordinates, I have to use a compass sometimes to keep my directions straight.

Well, then, back where I came from...

Day 123 continues

No comments: